Monday, July 23, 2012

Recipe: French Toast

Is there a particular food that you love eating but are nervous about preparing yourself? For me that has always been French toast. I like to order it when Nick and I go out for breakfast, but until recently I never thought of making it myself. I don't know why. It's a little different at each restaurant, so in theory it is probably difficult to mess up. Sunday morning I tried my hand at making French Toast for the first time, and I have to say I will be using this recipe again very soon! It was extremely easy to prepare and Nick and I both really enjoyed it.


Ingredients:


1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (my addition - I also add this to pancake batter)
1 pinch of salt
12 thick slices of bread (even better it they are a little stale)


Directions:
Place the flour in a mixing bowl and slowly whisk in the milk. Next, whisk in the eggs one at a time. Add the seasonings last. Lightly oil / spray a skillet and place over medium heat. Dip each side of the bread until thoroughly coated and cook in skillet until golden brown on each side. That's it - super easy! (I made the entire batch of batter this time even though we only made four pieces of toast because I was nervous about making adjustments the first time around. Next time I will only make about half this much batter.)


The finished product!


I sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar on the French toast while it was still hot and drizzled on some pancake syrup. you could top with powdered sugar or add fresh fruit as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment